My family wants to have burgers every week. As potatoes are off the menu for me, I need a french frie substitute. These butternut squash are caramelized so that you don’t even miss the ketchup (no night shades on AIP). Serve with Coconut Aoli!
- butternut squash, try to find one with a large neck
- 2 TB olive oil or coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat oven to 400 degrees
- cut ends off of squash. Cut neck off of bulb. Stand the neck on the end and slice off skin. Cut the remaining flesh into fries. Set bulb aside.
- toss butternut with olive or coconut oil (melt coconut oil first). Season with salt and pepper to taste
- roast in over 30-45 minutes. Browning on each side.
NOTE: I like to put the bulb on the grill to eat later. Cut it open. Remove seeds with a grapefruit spoon. Slice into 1/4 inch thick slices. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Grill till browned.
BUTTERNUT AND DAIKON FRIES
Add Daikon cut into fries with the butternut and cook as usual. It adds a nice bitter flavor.