In AIP you can not have night shades. Night shades are tomato, peppers, eggplant and potato. We all love to have mashed potatoes with different meals, so I had to find a suitable substitute. This recipe is the best substitute for mashed potatoes that I have found. It is excellent with sauerkraut!
- 3 large parsnips
- 2 TB coconut oil, melted or olive oil
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin purée or 2 cups frozen pumpkin puree*
- 1/2 cup coconut kefir, or chilled full fat coconut milk from a can
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat oven to 400 degrees
- peel parnips and then peel a half cup of parnip ribbons
- toss parnip ribbons with oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay then on baking tray in a single layer.
- roast 5-10 minutes until browned, watch carefully
- cube the remaining parnips. Put them in a steamer for 45 minutes or till soft. If you don’t have a steamer, you can boil them as you would potatoes
- combine pumkin, parnips, parnip ribbons and coconut kefir and mash with Potatoe masher till desired consistency.
- season to taste
* I buy extra pumpkins around Halloween to roast, puree and freeze in batches